Having great, healthy green grass in your home is a result of efficient tendering to the grass. Some people are lucky as they tend to have healthy green grass in their environment. Not all of us are or would be. If your idea of a perfect garden or compound features warm green grasses, you should keep reading.
Leaving your garden without applying fertilizers is like deliberating deciding to go on a hunger strike. Fertilizing is a crucial ingredient in growing and maintaining a green, healthy lawn. Unfortunately, most homeowners do not bother to fertilize. This is often because they probably do not know what to do, or they have used previous products, and the quality of their grass did not improve.
In this article, I will be taking you through the best fertilizers that can improve your plants’ outlook, professional lawn fertilizers, and fertilizers for new plants, amongst others. Stay with me.
Have you been wondering about the best fertilizers that can do the trick in terms of helping you grow healthy, green grass? Here they are;
1) Scotts Green Max fertilizer: The Scotts Green max fertilizer is the go-to fertilizer for you if you do not have plenty of time to dedicate to your lawn, and that is why it is top on the list. This fertilizer needs to be applied once in 6-8 weeks.
Green max boosts your lawn with its iron nutrient. This nutrient does not only make your grass greener, but it also makes it stronger, thicker, and firmer. Again, Green max helps you take care of weeds not to affect the growth o0f your grass.
Green max gives you greener lawns after three days of application.
2) Miracle-Gro lawn food: this fertilizer is very affordable as the package comes with a cost-effective product dispenser. This is one of the most popular fertilizers.
Miracle-Gro is straightforward to use, and its products are long-lasting. Its nutrients also enable the healthy growth of your lawn.
Over application of this product, however, can result in damage to the grass. Hence, the product package’s dispenser helps you spread the product across your lawn quickly.
3) Safer Brand 9333 Ringer fertilizer: this fertilizer is unique because it does not contain phosphorus, unlike the others. Although phosphorus helps the root of the plant development and the grass also grows, it can be harmful.
Lack of phosphorus in this fertilizer does not reduce its efficiency. It contains nutrients like potassium and proteins needed to keep your lawn healthy.
4) Milogranite 0636 fertilizer: this fertilizer is an organic fertilizer. Its application does not deter your children and pets from working on the lawn.
It contains Nitrogen and microbes that assist with providing necessary nutrients to the soil. The smell of this product can keep pests away from your surroundings. However, the down part of this is that the scent might not be too conducive for the home.
5) Scotts turf builder: this is another fertilizer from the Scott brand. However, it is different from Green Max. It is a phosphorus-free fertilizer, and it is cost-effective.
It can also help you have a great lawn even if you do not have plenty of time to tend to it. It enables the plant to grow stronger roots, which allows the lawn to survive through droughts or periods with less watering.
In getting Green grasses for your lawn, you should also be considering fertilizers that can thicken your grass. This prevents your collections from being too thick and unattractive.
Transforming thin, lacklustre grass into a thicker, more beautiful lawn is not a herculean task. You can be the proud owner of a thicker lawn if you’ll do the following;
How to get a thicker lawn
1) Improve your soil: to get a thicker lawn, you need to improve your soil. Soil testing provides you with an accurate starting point for your lawn’s unique needs and recommendations to fix anything that may be an issue with your soil.
Testing improves your soil’s PH and other conditions that can affect the growth of thick, healthy plants.
2) Overseed: overseeding is a process of sowing grass seed into existing grass to make thin lawns thick. The new grass that will sprout will fill up the middle of the grasses and, in turn, help derive a thicker lawn look.
3) Fertilize: as earlier mentioned, your lawn grasses need food, and the nutrients present in the soil may not be enough to keep your plant going.
Regular fertilization provides your grass with the nutrients it needs so that your grass grows to be thicker and healthier.
4) Boost your lawn: boosting your lawn requires that you go through three simple steps;
– Prepare your lawn
– Apply a lawn booster
– Water your grass
This step ensures that your lawn grows into a thicker, healthier one.
The best fertilizer to green up the lawn
All you need to achieve your lawn’s potential is to use the best fertilizer that suits the soil and the climate. A sickly lawn shouldn’t even be considered a lawn at all. Hence, I put together fertilizers that can help you revive your weak lawn and make your lawn alluring again.
1) Safer brand lawn restores fertilizer: this fertilizer is entirely plant-based. Hence, it is organic. It is high in Nitrogen and potassium. However, it does not contain phosphates. This makes it the best option for homeowners who want a lush, green lawn. One application of this fertilizer lasts around ten weeks or longer.
2) Milogranite Garden Care Organic Fertilizer: this fertilizer has been known for greening up lawns since its first use in the 1920s. It doesn’t require water in its application, and it lasts up to 10 weeks, high in iron and the usual nutrients.
3) Scotts liquid turf builder lawn food: this fertilizer is known for its ability to deliver fast results. It is high in Nitrogen, and it is incredibly budget-friendly. It is also safe for all grass types and climates.
The best fertilizer for new grass
The role of fertilization in enabling the sufficient growth of your new plants cannot be over-emphasized. Fertilization helps your new shoots to sprout healthily. Fertilization practices, including grass density and mowing frequency, can transform new grass seeds into a lush lawn or force your turf to work overtime.
If you get your new plants’ fertilization process wrong, the result could be a dry lawn. In this guide, I’ll be taking you through the best fertilizers to grow your new grass.
1) Jobe’s organics annuals and perennials: this fertilizer breaks down nutrients in the soil for faster results. It improves soil condition over time by increasing microorganism activity for healthier, living soil.
Its fertilizer analysis is 3-5-4, making it a good source of nutrients for most annual and perennial plants such as ferns, lilies, peonies, begonias, etc. it is also pet and people-friendly.
2) Espoma organic Bio-Tone starter: this fertilizer during planting will help seedlings develop a healthy colony of mycorrhizal fungi so the new plants will settle into their new homes quicker.
The fungi work directly with the root to increase the amount of water and nutrients the plant needs.
Its fertilizer analysis is 4-3-4, and hence, it is an excellent all-purpose starter fertilizer.
3) Dr Earth Home Grown Tomato, Vegetable, and Herb: this fertilizer contains multi-minerals such as carbohydrates, proteins, etc., that make sure your soil grows to be healthy.
It is safe for pets and people as it does not contain any synthetic chemicals. It bears the Organic Materials Review Institute seal as it is made in the United States.
Did you know that a set of three numbers defines all fertilizers? Read on to see why
Is 15-15-15 suitable for lawns?
All fertilizers are defined by a set of three numbers separated by hyphens. These numbers represent the ratio of Nitrogen to phosphorus and potassium present in the fertilizer.
In line with this, the 15-15-15 fertilizer contains identical elements of these nutrients. This fertilizer can also be regarded as the ‘triple fifteen.’ It is considered a complete fertilizer because it has three essential soil nutrients in equal proportions. The triple fertilizer can benefit your lawn in the following ways;
– Gives your grass beautiful green blades
– Highly efficient source of Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium
– Ensures root development
– Provides balanced and accurate uptake of primary nutrients on the lawn.
– Helps to strengthen the stem
– Supports growth and development of fruits and buds.
Why is your grass turning yellow?
It is important to note that it is not in every case that your yellow grass is a result of lawn disease. This update can be as a result of diverse reasons. Some of these include;
– Lawn diseases, e.g., Frost burn
– Dog pee
Lawn diseases such as fungus, dollar spot show their trademark when your plants start turning yellow or brown.
Frost burn during rainy seasons can be followed by yellowing leaf blades. Only treatments can prevent further growth of the yellow plants.
Dog urine contains high nitrogen compounds. These compounds can burn the grass. After burning, the grass yellows and begins to die.
Hence, if you have a dog in your compound, you might want to limit it from access to the garden.
This causes the grass to have low root development. Too much water in the soil limits the supply of oxygen. Hence, they will be low uptake of nutrients, and as such, the plant will yellow.
Overwatering can also cause fungal diseases and insect infestation due to reduced resistance.
Using too much fertilization on your lawn can discolour it. Signs of over-fertilization include;
– Slow growth of grass
– Fertilizer crust on the soil surface
– Yellowing of leaf blades
– Browning of grass blades at the top
In case you’re trying to over-fertilize to grow a green, thick lawn, make sure you’re using organic fertilizer as a synthetic one will only result in a burned-out lawn.
Best professional lawn fertilizer
It is tough to say which lawn fertilizer is the best for your lawn as this depends on certain essential factors. These factors include;
– Safety of your pets and children
– Keeping things organic or otherwise.
However, two choices stand out to not break the bank and keep things safe for your family members. The first is;
a) Milogranite 0636 Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer: this fertilizer is very cost-effective, as an earlier review. The only con, however, is that it is a bit smelly. The smell goes away after a few days when it absorbs into the soil.
The fertilizer use allows for deeper green grass as it is very high in iron and Nitrogen. Using Milogranite allows your plants to grow very tall and thick.
The other option is the Scotts Green Max fertilizer, and this will be reviewed extensively.
Scotts green max fertilizer
This fertilizer contains a dual-action formula that feeds your lawn and provides it with a deep greening in 3 Days. It covers 2500, 5000, or 10000 square feet. Its fertilizer analysis is 27-0-2.
This fertilizer is made explicitly for grass. It contains iron, Nitrogen, and potassium. These make your grass a lusher green. However, it does not contain phosphorus. Compared to organic products, this fertilizer produces a speedy result.
If you have an established lawn, this can help boost nutrients to help promote growth and health. Nitrogen helps to strengthen the grass blade, and potassium aids in keeping it healthy.
The Scotts have a starter pack regarded as the Scotts Turf builder starter food for new grass. This supplies new seedlings with phosphorus that enables their growth where the Green Max fails.
What packs have you been using to achieve healthy growth of your lawn? Did you find this helpful? Leave a comment.