Sweet potatoes can be prepared in diverse ways that will make your mouth water whether you are making them at home or ordering them from your favorite restaurant. They are very delicious, easy to cook and on top of that, they are very affordable. This sweet potatoes recipe will teach you how to try out a couple of new ways to prepare your sweet potatoes.
WHERE TO GET IT?
Sweet potatoes are very easy to get no matter the amount you need. They are locally produced and are very much available all year long. They can be gotten from local markets, supermarkets and grocery stores.
RECIPE AND NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS
According to scientists, sweet potatoes are one of the best source of vitamin A. They are also naturally endowed with carotenoids, vitamin B5 due to their natural color. Sweet potatoes is not only endowed with natural benefits but also medicinal benefits.
Scientists have however discovered that sweet potatoes contain some anti inflammatory, anti-cancer and anti-diabetic properties. Sweet potatoes also comes in different colors which ranges from white, orange, pink, purple, red and yellow.
1. Sweet potatoes helps in regulating blood pressure.
Sweet potatoes is rich in both magnesium and potassium which helps in regulating blood pressure. Research has shown that the higher the intake of potassium, the result will be a decrease in blood pressure which will in turn reduce the chance of an individual to develop a stroke. The presence of magnesium and potassium are also very essential to fight against hypertension.
2. Sweet potatoes aids digestion.
This is yet another important health benefit of sweet potatoes. Research shows that sweet potatoes contain very large amount of fibers. It is evident from various researches that many laxatives we use today are made from fibers.
This simply means that regular consumption of sweet potatoes can increase your intake of fibers which will help promote proper digestion. Not only that, fiber content in sweet potatoes can also help in the prevention of constipation for the consumer.
3. Sweet potatoes are also effective in the prevention of vitamin A deficiency.
Lack of vitamin A in the body system is very dangerous and it poses a great threat to the individual. An individual whose body system lacks the presence of vitamin A is open to infectious disease, dry eyes as well as death.
Sweet potatoes are very important sources of vitamin A because they contain high level of beta-carotene. This beta-carotene is therefore transformed into vitamin A which in turn fight off infections and serves as a resistance to any further infections that may try to come.
4. Sweet potatoes helps to improve hair growth and maintain healthy skin.
How? You may ask. You are already aware that sweet potatoes contains high level of vitamin A because they contain beta-carotene. Sweet potatoes are also rich in vitamin C and vitamin E. Various researches has shown that vitamin E contains anti-oxidant properties that helps reduce oxidative stress.
Vitamin E also possesses the ability to improve hair growth. Vitamin C on the other hand is very effective as it aids the treatment of hyper pigmentation. It also helps in reducing stress.
Furthermore, it is also important to note that the combination of both vitamin C and vitamin E can reduce the risk of skin cancer as research has proven that vitamin C contains anti-inflamatory properties which can help prevent or manage skin disease and also help to speed up the healing process of injuries on the skin.
Also note that vitamin A helps to speed up the healing process or manage sunburn. According to research, it is also very effective for the treatment of skin cancer. With the presence of these three vitamins in sweet potatoes, (that is vitamin A, C and E) the cell responsible for ageing process becomes slow there by helping you to maintain or retain your youthful look for a longer period of time.
5. Sweet potatoes are necessary for good vision.
As you already know, sweet potatoes contains vitamin A and vitamin A aids proper and clearer vision. Vitamin A helps in maintaining the proper structure of the retina. Lack of vitamin A can or may result to poor vision or worse, total blindness. Aside these, there are other dangers attached to vitamin A deficiency.
Some of which includes: dryness of the conjuctiva and cornea. Study also shows that there is a close relationship between vitamin C deficiency and the development of cataracts. Tjustherefore, sweet potatoes are highly recommend to prevent these.
6. Sweet potatoes helps to prevent ulcer.
Various researches have shown that the flour in the root of sweet potatoes as well as the methanol extract from the root of sweet potatoes are very vital. The flour in the root aids the prevention of ethanol related ulcer in the stomach. The extract is said to reduce gastric ulceration by reducing swelling in the surrounding tissues and are also important in the healing of wounds inside the body. So therefore, consumption of sweet potatoes can serve as treatment against ulcer.
7. Sweet potatoes can also serve as fertility booster.
Sweet potatoes contains high dose of iron which is an important mineral for aiding fertility in women of child bearing age. Research shows that iron deficiency is the major cause infertility in women. Treating iron deficiency by increase in the intake of iron tends to cure infertility and brings about the ability to conceive few months or roughly a year after the treatment. Therefore, since sweet potatoes contains a high dose of iron, it tends to boost fertility rate in women of child bearing age.
8. Sweet potatoes can help reduce the risk of adding too much weight.
With sweet potatoes serving as a source of fiber, it can help in reducing an individuals’ weight. The more full you feel after consuming sweet potatoes, the less you feel the need to eat snacks and junks. This therefore will help you manage your weight effectively and efficiently.
9.Sweet potatoes are a low glycemic food unlike other potatoes.Low glycemic foods are the type of foods that help people living with diabetes or who are at risk of diabetes,to control their blood sugar.Sweet potatoes also contain carotenoids(phybonutrient),which helps to reduce the risk of eye disease,cancer and even heart disease.Also note that, foods and vegetables that are brightly colored such as:Red,Yellow,or Dark green contains carotenoids(including fruits).
10.Sweet potatoes have ten times more vitamin A than the regular white potatoes.Enough said!
THE DIVERSE WAYS OF MAKING RECIPE
1.Fried sweet potatoes
2.Baked sweet potatoes
3.Roasted sweet potatoes
4.Sweet potatoes chips
5.Sweet potatoes pancake
6.Microwaved sweet potatoes
7.Sweet potatoes soup
Recipe for sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top
Rinse and scrub sweet potatoes under cool water before you start cooking.This is fine in order to remove any dirt from the skin.Make sure your knife is sharp because sweet potatoes might be a bit difficult to cut.The method of cooking your sweet potatoes will determine how you cut them.Sweet potatoes can be cut in diverse and yet presentable ways.Some of which includes:cubes,thin coins,wedges,batons,mmedallions,spiralized into swoodies or perh
4.Salt to taste
HOW TO PREPARE
1 Slice the sweet potatoes into thin batons
2.Pre-heat a reasonable quantity of olive oil
3.Add some chillies and a pinch of salt to give it a savouring taste
4.Fry till it become crispy.They are like thick sweet chips, usually golden brown with a delicious taste.
Baked sweet potatoes can be eaten with roasted chicken or pork .But,it can as well stand alone as a main course.
1.Long sweet potatoes
4.Salt to taste.
1. 4 cups chopped peeled sweet potato
2. 1 sweet onions. Cut into wedges
3. 2 cloves garlic, sliced
4. 3 tablespoons olive oil
5. 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
6. 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
Directions on how to prepare
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Mix sweet potatoes, sweet onion, and garlic in a bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the mixture and toss to coat; pour into a shallow roasting pan.
3. Roast sweet potatoes mixture in preheated oven, turning frequently, until the vegetables are soft and golden brown. Leave for at least 30 to 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe for baked sweet potatoes chips
Baked Sweet Potatoes Chip are Crisp, delicious, salty baked sweet potatoes chips and they make the perfect healthy snack. It is a simple and easy recipe that is delicious and consumes less time.
1. Sweet potatoes
2. 1/3 cup olive oil
3. Salt to taste
4. Black pepper
1. Mixing bowl
2. Large baking sheets
3. Peeler. You can use a sharp knife for substitute.
4. Cooling racks
Instructions on how to prepare
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes and use a mandolin slicer to cut the sweet potatoes into paper-thin rounds.
3. Combine olive oil, salt, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add sliced sweet potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat.
4. Spread sweet potato slices into a single layer on the baking sheets, and leave space around them. Bake about 10-12 minutes on each side turning them once, until golden. Remove from the oven and cool the sweet potato chips on cooling racks for about 5-10 minutes. They will crisp up a little more as they cool.
In order to get the best, tasty and yummy crispy potato chips, the following points must not be neglected. mandolin slicer to cut the sweet potatoes into paper-thin rounds. (I set mine to the thinnest setting.)
Combine olive oil, salt, black pepper, and dried rosemary in a large mixing bowl. Add sliced sweet potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat.
Spread sweet potato slices into a single layer on the baking sheets, and leave space around them. Bake about 10-12 minutes on each side turning them once, until golden. Remove from the oven and cool the sweet potato chips on cooling racks for about 5-10 minutes. They will crisp up a little more as they cool.
5 TIPS FOR BEST RECIPE FOR SWEET POTATOES CHIPS
Use a mandolin to slice the sweet potatoes slices evenly.
Slice the sweet potatoes as thinly as possible (1/8- inch thickness) to maximize the crispiness potential! (A mandolin makes things super easy and makes sure your slices are evenly sliced.)
Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet. Spread the sweet potato slices into a single, even layer, leaving space around each slice. When too many ingredients are on one baking sheet, the heat from the sheet gets trapped under the food and creates steam, and the sweet potato slices will be tender instead of crisp.
Hot, fast roast, instead of low, long bake. Bake them at a high temperature in the middle rack for about 20 minutes instead of baking them at a lower temperature for a longer period. A long, low bake (say 375°F or below) will result in tender sweet potatoes, but never crisp.
A couple of minutes less or more. Depending on the thickness of the slices and the strength of your oven, you might
1. Make sure you use a mandolin to slice the sweet potato slices evenly.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes as thinly as possible to maximize the crispiness potential. A mandolin makes things easy and makes sure your slices are evenly sliced
3. Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet. Spread the sweet potato slices into a single, even layer, leaving space around each slice. Jam packing them will cause them to become soft rather than crispy
4. Hot, fast roast, instead of low, long bake. Bake them at a high temperature in the middle rack for about 20 minutes instead of baking them at a lower temperature for a longer period. A long, low bake will result in tender sweet potatoes, but never crisp.
5. A couple of minutes less or more. Depending on the thickness of the slices and the strength of your oven, you might.