Microwaving a sweet potato is known to be the fastest way to cook one. You only need just five minutes. Before microwaving your sweet potato, it is necessary to prick as this will help the crispy skin separate from the creamy sweet potato. Another reason why pricking is important is that when sweet potato is properly cooked, the skin puffs up while the inside becomes tender. To know when the sweet potato is ready, you can use a paring knife or fork to check for resistance and if there is none, it is ready to be served.
There are diverse ways by which you can top your sweet potato. Infact, I am obsessed with topping sweet potatoes with a mixture of vegetables, protein, as well as cheese to make them a full meal. Therefore, I personally recommend barbecue chicken sweet potato and Sloppy Joe sweet potatoes.
Preparation time: 0 Hours 5 Minutes
Total time: 0 Hours 5 Minutes
Yields: 1 Serving
1. 1 sweet potato
2. Kosher salt
3. Freshly ground black pepper
4. 1 small pat butter
How to cook a sweet potato in the microwave
1. Wash sweet potato thoroughly. Once that is done, pat dry and then pierce 3 to 4 times with a fork. Place potato on the plate and microwave for five minutes, turning halfway through.
2. If your potato isn’t fork tender after 5 minutes, do not panic, just continue microwaving for another 30 seconds. Split the potato down the middle and season with salt to taste and pepper then top with a pat of butter.
Microwave sweet potato cubes
Potatoes, be it russet, red, or sweet potatoes are a delicious side to any meal, but they can take a lot of time to cook depending on the method you use to prepare them. Learning how to use the microwave for sweet potato recipes can make a huge difference. It is easy to make sweet potato cubes or white potato cubes.
Begin the process by washing the potatoes properly then slice them up into cubes. Once that is done, put them in a shallow microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high heat for just 5 minutes, then turn the potatoes over, and microwave for an additional 5 minutes. You can finish them off by adding a drizzle of olive oil or perhaps a dab of butter and any seasoning of your choice.
Cutting potatoes into cubes will allow the moisture to escape the potato just the same way fork pricks in a whole potato’s skin would. Although, this is not an ideal option for making mashed potatoes. When you keep the potato intact, without piercings or scores, it will allow the fluids and steam to build up inside thereby giving you the right texture for mashing.
Once you successfully learnt to microwave sweet potato cubes, you can add them into a variety of recipes, such as your sweet potato salad or your tasty sweet potato puff.
Things you will need
1. Vegetable scrubber
3. Aluminum foil
4. Baking sheet
Step by step instructions
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and position the oven rack in the center rung.
2. Clean the potatoes thoroughly by scrubbing them with a vegetable brush under cold running water.
3. Using a fork, prick the potatoes in several places.
5. Carefully place the potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet and transfer them to the oven.
7. Bake the potatoes until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Note that this process only takes roughly about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the potato. Now, carefully turn the potatoes over every 20 minutes or thereabout so as to ensure even cooking.
If you prefer soft skin on your potatoes, all you need to do is to wrap them in foil before baking.
How to cook a sweet potato in the microwave (cubes, mash, chips, wet paper towel)
Microwave sweet potato mash
Microwaving sweet potato mash is a unique method of preparing sweet potatoes. This method celebrates the sweet potato in all its glory and can be prepared while you are making the rest of your meal.
1. 1 sweet potato
2. Flaky sea salt
3. Cracked black pepper
4. 1 bowl of water
5. Bit of freshly grated ginger, dash of cinnamon, butter (optional)
Step by step instructions
1. Wash and scrub the sweet potato.
2. Using a fork, pierce holes all over the sweet potato. This is done so as to help the steam escape. Not only that, it also ensures that the sweet potato doesn’t blow up in your microwave.
3. Place the sweet potato on a microwave-safe plate. Add a bowl full of water together with the sweet potato. This will essentially steam the sweet potato very quickly.
4. Microwave on high heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the sweet potato from the microwave and split it open by slicing it down the center from one end to the other. Be sure that the sweet potato is tender, although, the center will still be a bit hard.
6. Continue to microwave the sweet potato for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until it becomes completely soft. (Make sure that there is still water in the bowl)
8. Season with flaky sea salt and pepper to taste.
You can mix in a small amount of freshly grated ginger, a dash of cinnamon, and pat of butter. Although, it is optional.
Microwave sweet potato wet paper towel
You can serve sweet potatoes for dinner either by baking the sweet potatoes, directly eating the sweet potatoes as a main dish or as a side dish, or perhaps eating sweet potatoes for dessert. Just save yourself a whole lot of time and make them in the microwave. I’d say that this is the lazy girl’s way of cooking.
1. Start by cleaning the sweet potato under running water using a produce scrubbing brush. This step is especially important if you eat the skin of the potato.
2. Pierce the potato with a fork about 6 to 8 times. This is done so as to prevent the potato from exploding in the microwave. Trust me when I say you do not want to skip this step.
3. Take a full-sized sheet of a paper towel and wet it with cold water. Once that has been done, gently ring out any excess water. Now carefully unfold the paper towel and place it onto a microwave-safe plate then place the sweet potato onto the paper towel.
4. Microwave the sweet potato on high heat for nothing less than 6 minutes, flipping once halfway through. For a medium sized sweet potato, I usually microwave it for about 3 minutes, flip, and microwave an another two and a half to three minutes. It is important to note that this timing does not apply to smaller potatoes as they tend to take lesser time, whereas larger potatoes will take more time. It is therefore advisable that you experiment for a bit so as to find the right amount of time for your potatoes.
6. After cooking, carefully unwrap the potato and allow it cool for several minutes.
7. Use a knife to cut the potato in half.
8. Admire how wonderful your potato looks and then top it with your desired toppings. The topping choice are endless but personally, I will recommend some of my favorites: Maple or vanilla almond butter, avocado, melt butter, salsa, yellow mustard, and also dippy eggs. (I’m not asking you to use all at once)
Microwave sweet potato plastic wraps
With this method, it is much more easier than ever to enjoy a delicious, unique tasting and healthy sweet potato.
Preparation Time: 2 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 to 10 minutes
Total Time: 8 to 12 minutes
1. 1 sweet potato
2. 1 paper towel
3. Plastic wrap
Step by step instructions
1. Using a fork or a paring knife, poke holes all the way around a cleaned and dried sweet potato.
2. Use a damp paper towel to wrap around the sweet potato.
3. Now, carefully wrap the paper towel-covered potato in a layer of plastic wrap. Note that you can twist the ends and wrap them under to secure.
4. Place on microwave-safe plate and microwave on medium-high for approximately six minutes. Taste to see if it is ready or perhaps you can use a fork to pierce it to be sure. Note that the potato should yield to firm pressure but not be too mushy. If the potato is too firm, be sure to microwave for an additional 1 minute until it is cooked through.
5. Carefully remove from microwave and allow it to cool for five minutes before serving.
Baked sweet potato microwave then oven
One of the best and easiest side dishes you can make is a steaming hot sweet potato topped with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of flaky salt. It can as well be eaten as a snack. Baked sweet potato is indeed a delicious dish. Although, it takes more than one hour for the flesh to fully cook through.
Step by step instructions on how to bake sweet potato microwave then oven
1. Wash the potato skin clean. Also scrub and dry it. This step is necessary for those who eat the skin.
2. Using a paring knife, prick the potato all over. This step is necessary because the steam escapes through the holes
3. Place the potato on a microwave-safe plate (note that sugar may leak out as it cooks. This is completely normal) cook on high for about 5 to 6 minutes. Ensure that when it is halfway through the cook time, rotate the potato. Be very careful as it will be hot. Check the potato to be sure it is ready. Note that If it is still a little too firm, continue microwaving for an additional 1 minute.
It is however important to note that if you are cooking multiple sweet potatoes in the microwave, you are to increase the cook time by 2 to 3 per potato.
Microwave sweet potato before baking
Microwaving sweet potatoes does not necessarily need to stop with the potato in its jacket. You can as well enjoy them as a side dish under 10 minutes.
1. Sweet potato
2. Pierce the sweet potato skin with a fork 5 to 6 times.
3. Place the sweet potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 5 to 10 minutes, that is 5 minutes to cook one sweet potato in the microwave, and add extra 2 minutes for each additional potato. Note that you are to rotate them halfway through.
4. You are done microwaving your sweet potatoes when a fork pierce them easily. Be sure that they are not too firm. Should incase they are, continue to cook them for an additional 1 minute.