Purple sweet potato calories has been in existence for centuries. It is a kind of potato that is richly endowed with minerals, vitamins as well as fiber. The purple sweet potato is closely related to the well known orange sweet potato. Infact, these two crops are from the same family. The only difference which of course is visible is their color. However, the difference in color can be attributed to the presence of anthocyanins and antioxidants which gives the skin it’s unique purple color.
Purple sweet potato has its root traced from South America. However in our world today, purple sweet potato is now recognized worldwide including the great China and the giant of Africa. This is simply because the crop is such a large farming crop. Over the years however, varieties of the crop have been developed including Japanese and Taiwanese.
Since both the orange sweet potato and the purple sweet potato are from the same family, they tend to possess almost similar nutritional values which includes high amount of vitamins including vitamin A (beta carotene) which makes the crop top notch in most part of Africa suffering from vitamin A deficiency, as well as minerals which includes a reasonable amount of fiber which inturn aids the provision of fullness and satiety.
One amazing feature of the purple sweet potato is the abundant amount of anthocyanins in it which gives it the natural purple skin. This unique feature however provides an additional health benefit explained in this article.
There are however several methods of preparing sweet potato and each method varies from the other. However, research has show than the boiling method provides the least benefits while baking and frying is much much more preferable.
It is important to note that the leafs of purple sweet potatoes are rich in nutrients as well. Most people are not aware of this fact and so it is not commonly eaten. Purple sweet potato leaf extract contains some antioxidants such as polyphenols like the caffeoylquinic acid derivatives. Also, be sure to consult your doctor before you make any decision to change your diet.
Study has however show that the anthocyanins of the root and the caffeoylquinic acid derivatives of the leaves are both the most active components of purple sweet potato. However, it has also been proven beyond doubt that anthocyanins helps in reducing blood uric acid levels which when too much might cause gout. Research carried out by various scientists have also stated that the leafs might also help to reduce high blood sugar which can be done by increasing insulin sensitivity, increasing the production of glucose transporters in the muscle as well as decreasing inflammatory molecules.
Mashed purple sweet potato recipe, Calories and Health Benefits
The following health benefits of purple sweet potatoes are only supported by limited clinical studies. This is to say that there is not much evidence to support the use of purple sweet potato for the uses listed below:
First, purple sweet potato may support cardiovascular health
Although, not very much evidence proves that purple sweet potato may assist to contribute to healthy blood pressure control
Another important health benefit is that the crop contains powerful atioxidants
It is often said that when it comes to powerful antioxidants, the deeprt the color the better it is. Purple sweet potatoes are however deep in color which shows that they’re full of anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are a unique type of antioxidant which is said to reduce the risk of developing several kinds of chronic diseases. Research has shown that the purple skinned sweet potatoes contains about 16 to 57 mg of anthocyanins per hundred grams. Another research also shows that the antioxidant power contained in purple sweet potato is almost the same as that of Brussels sprouts or spinach.
In some cases however, the method you chose to prepare your purple sweet potato can influence its level of antioxidants. According to research carried out by food experts, the biggest antioxidant losses come from stair frying which is about 60% while baking has over 22%, microwaving has just 6% and boiling, about 8%. This doesn’t mean that it is dangerous to bake or stir fry purple sweet potatoes but to enlighten you on which cooking method has the most antioxidant that your body needs to keep it healthy
Another important health benefit is that it aids the proper function of the heart.
It is very important to note that due to the fact that purple sweet potato is high in antioxidant content, it helps to improve your heart health. Study has shown that purple sweet potato extract significantly improves blood pressure of people. Not only that, it also increase the antioxidants necessary for fighting hypertension.
Another important health benefit is that it helps to reduce inflammation.
Let’s take for instance the Taiwanese type of purple sweet potatoes. This type of potatoes according to research is said to have high level of inflammatory compounds which could inhibit future inflammation development. Not only that, these compounds are also said to slow down the growth of cancer. Other organs of the body such as the kidneys and liver can also benefit from the compounds in purple sweet potatoes.
Another important health benefit is that it helps to fight or prevent cancer.
No doubt cancer is most likely a deadly disease. The antioxidants present in purple sweet potato according to research has some anti-cancer potentials which helps to stunt cancer cell growth. According to a study found in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, baked purple potato and purple potato extract can help to slow down one of the regulators for colon cancer growth which is known as beta-catenin. This could however be a good news for the future treatment of this type of cancer. You should know that purple sweet potatoes, although powerful cannot substitute treatment but can help prevent the development of cancer in the cells.
Another important health benefit of purple sweet potato is that it can help to reduce high uric acid levels which can cause gout. Also, since purple sweet potato is a great source of anthocyanins and polyphenols, it can help to reduce oxidative stress in the body. Study has however shown that stir frying at least 200 grams of purple sweet potato leafs can reduce not only oxidative stress but also fat as well as protein breakdown to control diet.
Purple sweet potato calories
Purple sweet potato calories are lesser compared to other types of potatoes, therefore, consuming a medium sized roasted or baked purple sweet potato for snacks may not affect your weight loss diet plan.
Purple sweet potato calories are rich in fiber most especially when served without peeling off the skin. The dietary fibre helps to absorb water thereby making you feel fuller which in turn helps you to stick to a restricted calorie diet. Other types of regular potatoes are low in fibre content which therefore makes them less healthy for consumption.
Purple sweet potatoes are known to help reduce your appetite. Put differently, this is to say that purple sweet potato has the ability to shrink fat cells in the body.
Purple sweet potatoes are richly endowed with some essential nutrients which can help you stay healthy as you lose weight.
Purple sweet potato calories are regarded as low-glycaemic foods. This is simply because they do not cause an instant spike in blood sugar levels which in turn further helps to maintain weight efficiently. It is necessary to note that an unstable blood glucose level can lead to conditions like diabetes and obesity.
Purple sweet potato calories are less and this makes them perfect for weight loss. There is also a high water content in purple sweet potatoes which also makes it perfect for weight loss as consuming purple sweet potatoes helps to rehydrate your cells as well as boost metabolic activities taking place in the body. This however helps to prevent your body from accumulating excess fat,balance the natural pH levels as well as flush out toxins from your body system.
Note that you can include purple sweet potato to your diet plan and also choose your most suitable method of preparing it. You can choose to eat it as a snack or add yogurt, salads or even sauce to it as this makes it easier and more appealing to your taste buds.
1. Roasted purple sweet potato recipe
1. Purple sweet potatoes
2. Red onion
3. High smoke point cooking oil
4. Salt to taste
5. Garnished parsley
1. The first thing you need to do is to preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
2. After that, chop up the purple sweet potatoes together with the red onion.
3. Once that is done, toss the vegetables with the oil and arrange on baking sheet with plenty of room for them to bake.
4. Bake for nothing less than 15 minutes and then toss. Continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes or until you get your desired crispy treat
5. Season with some salt to taste and then chop up some fresh parsley to garnish. That’s it!
2. Mashed purple sweet potato recipe
1. Purple sweet potatoes
2. 1 cup coconut milk
3. 1 juiced lime
4. Salt to taste
5. Ground black pepper
1. First, preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Once that is done, poke holes all over potatoes with a fork then arrange in a baking dish.
3. After that, bake in preheated oven until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife. This should only take roughly about about 45 minutes.
4. Once that is done, divide potatoes in half on the width on a cutting board. Then scoop flesh into a mixing bowl. After that has been done, add coconut milk, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Then beat with an electric mixer until it becomes smooth.
3. Fried or crispy purple sweet potato recipe
1. 3 large sweet potatoes
2. ⅓ cup of melted coconut oil
3. 2 tablespoons coconut oil
4. 2 tablespoons sea salt, divided
5. 1 teaspoons black pepper
6. Salt to taste
1. First, preheat oven to 450 degrees F
2. Use 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to grease both your baking dishes and set them aside.
3. once this is done, wash and pat dry potatoes, cut them into one cube pieces. Be sure that they’re of the same size so they can brown evenly
4. Place the potatoes in large pot then add some cold water. Note that the water should be enough to cover the potatoes. Once this is done, add 1½ tablespoons of sea salt and place pot under high heat. Bring water to a boil and allow it to simmer for nothing less than 8 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the pot from heat and drain water completely. Distribute the potatoes evenly between the two baking sheets.
6. Once you have done this, pour melted coconut oil over the potatoes. Be sure to use a large spoon to mix gently and make sure all potatoes get coated with oil then sprinkle the remaining sea salt (should be ½ teaspoon)and then add your pepper over potatoes. Bake for nothing less than 25 minutes.
7. After 25 minutes, quickly remove the baking dishes from the oven then use large spoon to move potatoes around to prevent them from sticking to the dish and burning. Carefully place the baking dishes back into the oven and bake for another 25 minutes maximum.
8. Now remove baking dishes from oven and allow potatoes to cool for a second and serve hot
Tools you need to make your sweet potatoes
-1. A large pot
2. 2 baking dishes
3. A large wooden or plastic spoon
4. Cutting board
5. A sharp knife
6. Measuring spoons
7. Snack size zip lock bag