There is nothing more tasty than chocolate and strawberries! This is why there are diverse delicious, easy to make treats that can be used for Valentine’s day or perhaps when you feel like giving your taste buds the sweet taste it craves. So why not we quickly look at one of the ways of combining them?
1. 1 large sheet waxed paper
2. 1 cup chocolate chips
3. 2 cups whole large strawberries, about 17 strawberries, rinsed and clean
1. The first thing you need to do is to cover your baking tray with waxed paper.
2. Now once that is done, melt chocolate chips. You can do this by using a double boiler, melting the chocolate in the top over simmering water until you notice that it is completely melted and smooth and then removing from hot water. But should incase if you are using a microwave, all you need to do is to melt chocolate using a microwave safe container. It is necessary to note that your timing varies depending on the microwave. You can start with 45 second intervals and depending on your microwave, observe if they need more time and slowly heat more.
3. After you have done that, dip the strawberries about halfway into the already melted chocolate. Be sure to allow any excess chocolate to drip off, do this by gently shaking the strawberry.
4. Now place the strawberry on a waxed paper and allow chocolate to set by placing them in the refrigerator. The setting of the chocolate may vary depending on the fridge but make sure that the maximum amount of time it is expected to be ready is about half an hour.
5. You can place them in tupperware in the fridge, that is if you are not serving anytime soon.
If you are making this with smaller strawberries, then they are roughly about 35 calories each.
Are chocolate covered strawberries healthy?
Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate are very health as they can contribute to your fruit intake. Not only that, they also offer some unique health benefits which is due to the high level of nutrients in the chocolate and also the strawberries. However, this does not mean that it is good to consume it in excess as this might cause some health risks rather than the intended benefits. Therefore, it is advisable that you should consume them in moderation as a treat, and not as an everyday part of your diet.
Chocolate covered strawberry are considered healthy for the following reasons:
1. They are a great source of vitamin C
According to various research carried out, it has been noted that strawberries are a rich source of vitamin C. According to the Institute of Medicine, each serving of 3 large strawberries dipped in 1 ounce of dark chocolate precisely offers nothing less than 30.9 milligrams of vitamin C which is approximately 42% of the recommended daily intake for women and about 33% for men. The major function of Vitamin C is that it helps you make collagen, which is a protein necessary for strong tissue. Not only that, it also plays an important role in breaking down fat in the body to form energy. So therefore, we can say that consuming a diet that is rich in vitamin C helps to keep you healthy and strong by protecting your immune system and also reducing your risk of cardiovascular disease.
2. They help to boost your intake of manganese which is an essential mineral that your body needs
Study shows that strawberries dipped in dark chocolate precisely helps to boost your intake of manganese, which is an essential mineral that your body needs. The major function of manganese in the body is that it allows you to metabolize carbohydrates as well as proteins thereby giving rise to energy. Not only that, it also aids the production of glutamate, which is a chemical involved in nerve cell communication. To top it all, manganese aids the production of proteoglycans, which is a class of protein necessary for healthy none and cartilage. 3 large strawberries and 1 ounce of dark chocolate helps to boost your manganese intake by 0.8 milligram, thereby providing approximately 35% of your recommended daily intake. This fact is according to the Institute of Medicine.
3. They contains flavonoids which acts as antioxidants
Study shows that the flavonoids in chocolate act as antioxidants, that is they protect the cells against free radicals as well as damaging molecules that contribute to aging. Not only that, the flavonoids in chocolate also helps to control your body’s inflammation levels and also protect your body against heart disease that is linked to excess inflammation. Study shows that people with diabetes might also benefit from consuming dark chocolate. This is so because dark chocolate helps to fight insulin resistance. It is however necessary to note that the flavonoid content of dark chocolate varies, but dark chocolates contains a larger amount of cocoa solids and also have more flavonoids than lighter varieties.
Dark chocolate covered strawberries
Dark chocolate dipped in strawberries have more nutritional benefits than other sweets, but it is necessary to state that they also comes with some health risks most especially when consumed in excess. Let’s take for instance 3 strawberries dipped in 1 ounce of chocolate. This is said to contain approximately 188 calories, compared to just 18 calories for the strawberries on their own. Also, some varieties of dark chocolate might have more sugar content than others, thereby further increasing the calorie content. Therefore, if you do not practice portion control, eating too much dark chocolate can as well lead to weight gain. It is therefore recommended that you make your own dipped strawberries at home, just so that you can select a dark chocolate of your choice that contains a high concentration of cocoa solids, and also control the amount of chocolate you use.
How many calories in a chocolate covered strawberry
It is necessary to know that strawberries are some of the healthiest fruits you can eat because not only can the fruit be eaten on its own, it can as well be added to your favourite recipe to increase the nutritional value.
Strawberries contain calories. According to research carried out by the US Department of Agriculture’s National Nutrient, a single, large strawberry contains 6 calories, which is approximately about as many calories as a stick of sugar free gum. However, strawberries are way more satisfying than a stick of gum. A full cup of halved strawberries contains about 49 calories, which is approximately about half the number of calories in a single banana, thereby making it a reasonable low-calorie snack.
Strawberries are also a low sugar fruit. A cup of halved strawberries contains lesser than 8 grams of sugar and 11 calories.
Nutrition isn’t just about the amount of sugar or calories content. Strawberries most especially are richly endowed with vitamins. Study showss that a cup of sliced strawberries contains more vitamin C than orange. This information is provided by the USDA. Also, not only are strawberries richly endowed with vitamin C, but they are also a great source of potassium, magnesium, potassium as well as folic acid.
Keto chocolate covered strawberries
Keto chocolate covered strawberries are really quick and easy to make. It has a wonderful outlook that makes people think that you spent hours on them. The best part of keto chocolate covered strawberries is that they are not full of sugar. For my recipe below, there are only 1.9 net carbs. So what are we waiting for? �
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1. ½ pound of strawberries, about 12 large berries
2. ½ cup Lily’s semi sweet chocolate chips
3. 1 teaspoon coconut oil
4. ⅛ cup almonds, about 16 almonds
5. 1 teaspoon or more liquid splenda or sweetner of your choice, optional
Step by step instructions on how to make keto chocolate covered strawberries
1. Wash your strawberries and dry them properly. Leave the stems on as they give you something to hang onto and are also very pretty for serving.
2. Melt the chocolate chips as well as the coconut oil in a double boiler or a stove or better still, a microwave until melted. Personally, I recommend using the microwave as it only takes about 30 seconds, stirred then an additional 20 seconds.
3. Crush the almonds.
4. Use a fork or toothpicks to dip and swirl the strawberries through the chocolate. Be sure to allow the excess drip off.
5. Now dip into the crushed almonds or better till, sprinkle them over the covered strawberries (whichever way you prefer). Note that sprinkling them will give you a lighter coating of almonds.
6. Once that is done, carefully place the strawberries onto parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet and allow it to chill until it isready to be served.
Important things to note:
The following are the important things to note when preparing keto chocolate covered strawberries:
1. The chocolate is most likely to cling to the strawberries better if they are dry and very good. Therefore, it is important that you dry them properly.
2. Being at room temperature is the best. This is so because the chocolate will not cling as well to damp or even cold strawberries.
3. As you approach the end of the chocolate, it becomes a bit more harder to make the strawberries look amazing. Therefore, I recommend that you save those for the ones you will cover with the almonds to cover that.
Facts about chocolate covered strawberries
Strawberries are a unique tasting fruit and they are very versatile. They can be costed with dark chocolate, almonds, white chocolate or whatever you prefer. The best strawberry recipe is the hand dipped strawberries. This is because they are irresistible no matter what. However, there are a whole lot of interesting facts about strawberries that you may like to know. Below, I’ll be listing some of my favorite facts:
1. Are you aware that strawberries are the only fruit that have their seeds on the outside? Those tiny little seeds tucked inside the flesh of the fruit are the future strawberries, provided you don’t chew them down first. Perhaps you are looking forward to starting your own garden, all you need is one piece of fruit to get started. Study shows that the average strawberry has a whopping 200 seeds.
2. Strawberries are also quite historically significant, whether you believe it or not. According to research, the ancient Romans believed that strawberries helped to ease or relieve any symptom of fever, fainting, inflammation, melancholy, blood disease, and any other ailment you could possibly think of.
3. Most Americans eat strawberries. Infact, report has shown that the fruit is consumed by almost 94% of the American population.
4. Strawberries are a great source of vitamins and minerals that are very essential for the body.
5. Strawberries are also a low sugar fruit. A cup of halved strawberries contains lesser than 8 grams of sugar and 11 calories.
6. There are a whole lot of amazing facts about strawberries. However, the fruit has become an inseparable part of our lives for quite some time and anyone who has ever had one can understand why.
Calories in chocolate covered banana
Before I give you the analysis of the amount of calories as well as the nutritional facts of chocolate covered banana, it is important to note that the percent daily value are strictly based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so therefore, your value may vary depending on your calorie needs.
Nutritional facts for a serving size of just one piece:
Calories from fat 81 (50.6%)
Total fat 9 g
Saturated fat 5 g
Sodium 30 mg
Carbohydrates 20 g
Net carbs 17 g
Sugar 12 g
Fiber 3 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamins and minerals