The squat exercise is a great workout for burning calories; it helps burn a lot of calories since it targets many muscles in your body. It targets your entire body as well as muscles like the glutes, hamstrings and quadriceps. The squat is also an exercise that can be done without the use of any special equipment; you do not need to go to the gym before you can perform the squat exercise.
The squat exercise and exercise in general only makes a small portion of your daily calorie burn, Alexxai Kravitz who is a neuroscientist and an obesity researcher at the National Institute of Health has it that exercise only contributes to 10-30 percent of your total energy burned. Which means that the calories burned as a result of doing squats may not have a huge impact on your weight. You should know that the major energy expended comes from your everyday activities that is- your lifestyle. This therefore means that you need to change from a less active lifestyle to a more active one. Instead of using some machines to do very easy chores, you can use your hands and instead of boarding a bus or bike to a near distance, trek and get more active.
A study carried out by the compendium of physical activities has it that a resistance training squat will burn about 5 kilocalories per hour. However the number of calories squat burn depends on different factors. If you do a less intense squat workout, you will burn fewer calories than when you do a heavy weight training barbell squat. Squat is a lower body exercise and it uses more energy as compared to the upper body exercises. Some lower body exercises are the leg extensions or half squats while an example of the upper body exercise like the bicep curls.
Squat exercises are usually referred to as the king of exercises, this is because it targets all the core muscles and it increases strength and stability. If you are doing the squat exercise to burn calories or just to be in shape, you have to do it the right way
How many calories does (20, 30, 50) squats burn?
There are some factors that contribute to the amount of calories you burn doing squats:
- Your squat MET: the number of calories you burn doing the squat is dependent on your squat metabolic equivalent. MET is used to describe the energy expenditure of any activity you perform.
- Your Weight: two people performing the same moderate intensity workout will burn different amount of calories, one will burn more and the other less and it is because of the relationship between their body weight and the workout MET. If you weigh much, your calorie expenditure will be higher than the person who weighs less as the MET will reveal the calorie burned per each kilogram of body weight. The compendium of physical activities which was compiled by the Arizona State University and National Cancer Institute says a resistance training squat has 5 METs. Having known this, you can calculate the amount of calorie squats will burn or different body weights:
An individual who weighs 100kg will burn 500 calories in an hour (100500)
An individual who weighs 90kg will burn 450 calories in an hour (90=450)
An individual who weighs 80kg will burn 400 calories in an hour (80
An individual who weighs 70kg will burn 350 calories in an hour (70
An individual who weighs 60kg will burn 300 calories in an hour (60
- Your Intensity and duration: you will burn different amounts of calories at various intensities and durations. If you have a very intense workout, you are going to burn more calories. There are three different intensities and durations:
- The low activity – the Medium activity – the High activity
- The low activity: this is done a little bit above the resting state. It is usually less than 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercises in a week. In fact it can be just 75 minutes i.e. an hour and 15 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercises.
- The Medium activity: an individual that does this will usually do 150 to 300 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise in a week, which is like 5 hours. It can also be 75-150 minutes of vigorous-intensity exercises in a week.
- The High activity: if you are doing the high activity, it means you will be working out for more than 300 minutes of moderate-intensity exercises in a week.
Note: your body burns calories even after your workout. This is known as the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) it usually happens after an intense workout. Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption takes place when your muscles are restored by the body back to their resting mode. If you have a more intense workout, you will increase the amount of post-workout burn. You can add carrying weights when doing the squat workout, do squat variations which are more challenging. You can do other workouts alongside your squats.
Squats and Weight loss
Some factors are to be considered when it comes to squats burning weight. You may need to add some other things to doing squats as only squats may not be very effective for weight loss. You need to do more than just squats and this was buttressed by a study which was recorded in 2012 in a journal called “PLUS One” which states that those who were active and healthy hunter gatherers burned the same amount of calories everyday as well as those Americans and Europeans with less active activities, even after they controlled their body size.
This means that to get an effective weight loss from squats, it has to be combined with a healthy diet. When the squat exercise is properly done with the right diet plan, it will yield good results. Go on a proper diet and back it up with exercise to maintain that weight loss.
Squats and its health benefits
Squats are also good for improving your overall health just like exercises in general. Some of the health benefits of the squat exercise are:
-Since there will be an increased energy in your muscles, it helps you feel more energized
-It helps reduce the risk of blood pressure
-It helps reduce the risk of heart attack
-It helps reduce the risk of developing a stroke
-It helps reduce the risk of having triglycerides in your blood
And exercise in general helps:
-Reduce the risk of having a cognitive impairment resulting from dementia and Alzheimer’s
HOW MANY CALORIES DO SQUAT BURN PER MINUTE
You are likely to burn around 8 calories per minute when doing the squat exercise with the normal intensity. Averagely, you will do 25 squats in one minute. 1 squat will help you burn 0.32 calories.
HOW MANY CALORIES DO SQUAT BURN PER HOUR
A person who weighs 180 pounds will burn about 468 calories per hour if he does squats.
HOW MANY CALORIES DOES A JUMP SQUAT BURN
This is another kind of squat exercise; it is a low resistance workout which doesn’t require you to use weights. To be able to determine how many calories a jump squat burns, you have to know how intense the workout is. When doing this workout, your lower body and whole core are involved as well as a lot of major muscles like the abs, glutes, hamstrings and lower back.
This exercise is a little bit strenuous as you must hinge at the hips in order for your thighs to be parallel to the floor. You have to jump off the floor as high as you can. When you get back down, you must squat and jump up again. This will make you breathe very hard after jumping for a while. Jump squats are higher than 8 METs. They help burn much more calories. 30 jump squats with 30-second rests between ten sets will burn 100 calories in no time.
HOW MANY CALORIES DO SQUATS THRUSTS BURN
According to Gallagher, you can burn 10 calories in a minute and it is a great exercise for the whole of your body. It works on the legs, arm, core and cardio. You do not need any equipment for this exercise, just your mat. An individual who weighs 155 pound will burn 298 calories in 30 minutes.
The squat thrusts are usually part of a high intensity circuit and done by standing straight with your feet and shoulder-width apart. Then you squat and put your hands in front of your feet, then jump back and put your body in a push up position. You need to jump again and bring your legs towards your palms, stand up and repeat it until you are done with that set. You need strength to be able to carry out this exercise else you end up having back pain or strain when you do multiple squat thrusts.
The squat exercise has some benefits and it works well for the entire body. It helps boost the metabolism, increases heart rate and increases strength and makes you more agile. It is great for weight loss.
HOW MANY CALORIES DO SQUATS AND DEADLIFTS BURN
These two exercises are compound multi-joint exercises that targets different muscle groups. To achieve a great result from doing the dead lifts and squats, some factors are considered. They require utmost concentration and the right technique to the exercise. Both exercises stress the musculoskeletal structure. It is advisable to consult a medical practitioner if you are not sure on how to perform the exercise.
Many studies have shown that doing about 15-20 reps of dead lifts can burn up to 60 calories in the excess-post exercise oxygen consumption state. A dead lift workout with some warm-up will take about 15 minutes or 30 minutes. Now an individual who weighs 180 pounds will burn:
Met Formula: METs × weight in kilogram ×time in hours= number of calories burned during dead lift
- Number of calories burned= METs of 6.0 for power lifting × 88.95kg × time (1 hour or .5 for 30 minutes or .25 for 15 minutes)
- 6.0 ×88.95 × 1 = 533.7 calories burned dead lifting.
The dead lifts use several muscle groups which are: the Glutes, Hamstrings, Quads, Low back, Mid-back, Calves, Traps, Abs. This exercise burns a large number of calories because it requires more energy to perform. To be able to burn more calories, you have to do a high number of repetitions with a moderate weight. You can do about 3 to 5 sets of 15 to 20 reps, usually the last three set will require much more effort. Make sure to rest for 60-90 seconds between each set. You can choose to do a set of deadlifts and almost immediately do a set of squats, this will mean you have done a “super set”.
Benefits of deadlifts:
- Deadlifts helps to burn more calories compared to running.
- Deadlifts helps you to be able to endure cardio exercises.
- Deadlifts targets many muscles in your body which results in an increased rate of weight loss.
- Deadlifts helps to increase primary anabolic hormones which help to stimulate fat loss and muscle growth.
HOW MANY CALORIES DOES 30 SQUATS BURN
Doing 30 jump squats will burn 100 calories if you take a 30 second rests between sets of ten.
CALORIES BURNED DOING WEIGHTED SQUATS
The number of calories your body burns lifting weights is dependent on how hard your body is working, this is measured in METs. When you are resting, your body works at 1 METs which is equivalent to burning 1 calorie per 1 kilogram of body weight in an hour. An individual who weighs 150 pound, will burn 68 calories lifting weights for one hour.
HOW MANY CALORIES DOES 20 SQUATS BURN
In order to know how many calories you will burn by doing 20 squats, you have to be determined to do 20 squats and know that you have to attain the goal of burning calories. You need to have a good diet combined with your exercise.