In this article we will be discussing heavy cream vs heavy whipping cream and as well as identify their differences. Most people find it difficult to differentiate between these two kinds of creams as their labels may look similar, also because they are usually placed very close to each other in supermarkets shelves. And the question remains, are they the same thing?
Heavy cream and heavy whipping cream can be considered the same product, but with two distinct names. They both have the same nutritional information. According to the U.S Food & Drug Administration, heavy cream and heavy whipping cream must both contain at least 36% milk fat. Both have about 50calories, 3.5 grams of saturated fat per tablespoon and 5 grams of fat. The difference between them is quite a little, which is the fat content.
Heavy cream contains at least 36% milk fat content, which accords it the richest type of liquid cream WHILE Heavy whipping cream is much lighter and has 30% to 35% milk fat. The little differences in the percentages will alter things a bit when using it in recipes. Another difference between heavy cream and heavy whipping cream is that heavy cream has five times more calories per tablespoon.
When choosing the cream type for making sauce whether heavy cream or heavy whipping cream, choosing the cream that has more fat, will enable its stability for whipping and making sauce. They both whip up quickly but, heavy cream whips much better and keeps its shape intact longer than heavy whipping cream. Preferably, heavy cream should be used for pastry fillings, toppings and piping through a pastry bag to beautify a cake or pie.
Heavy cream will make your food thicker and give it a creamy feel. Whipping cream can be used to make whipped cream that you intend on placing on top of a piece of pie, waffles or crepes since whipping cream is softer, lighter and more voluminous. The downside is that it becomes liquid more easily.
Heavy cream vs heavy whipping cream keto
Creams are usually used for a lot of things today, such as, coatings, toppings, fillings, etc. when strawberries are dipped into creams with sugar, they taste so great. Creams can be prepared at home by following some recipes that can be found online. When preparing your homemade cream, make sure to follow the following tips:
- You should be aware that heavy cream will easily get whipped if you allow the bowl and beaters to chill in the freezer until they become very cold. Do not use ultra pasteurized variety of heavy cream because it takes a lot of time to get whipped.
- For those who prefer whipped cream to be sweetened, it will be fluffier and has little or no chance to separate when prepared with confectioner’s sugar instead of granulated sugar.
- Just in case you run out of fresh milk, you can substitute it with a teaspoon of non-fat dry milk added into your coffee or tea. Since powered non-dairy creamers contain saturated fats and sugar and are low calorie foods.
- To whip a small quantity of cream, you should pour the cream into a cup and use just one whisk of the electric beater.
- An evaporated milk has less cholesterol compared to heavy cream .If you want to whip this kind of milk ,you have to pour it into an ice-cube tray and refrigerate for about 30minutes or until you notice icebergs around the edges. Then you can bring the tray from the freezer, add milk into a chilled bowl, and whip it with a chilled electric beater until it becomes thick.
Heavy cream usually mistaken for heavy whipping cream is the solid part of milk that rises to the upper part as a result of its high fat content. It has relatively one of the highest fat contents in comparison to other dairy products. When preparing ice creams, pasta sauces, chowders and other recipes, you would need few cups and at least a splash of heavy cream.
When comparing Heavy cream vs. heavy whipping cream, heavy cream whips better and maintains its shape a bit longer than whipping cream. This is the more reason why it is usually preferred when used for pastry fillings to piping. Heavy cream has a long lasting life in the fridge and it can be frozen and used to prepare other foods. Heavy cream is a common and well used kitchen essential and there are some creative uses of heavy cream.
SOME OF THE USES OF HEAVY CREAM
- Heavy cream is used to make sour cream: when preparing sour cream, you need the buttermilk and your heavy cream. When you use Heavy cream for your sour cream, it produces a thicker sour cream. It is good for topping anything like soups to tacos.
- Heavy cream is used to prepare ice cream: you can use the heavy cream to create large bowls of nice ice cream. After preparing your ice cream, you can try adding it on top of your Apple Pie Oatmeal Cookies.
- Heavy cream can be used for whipped cream: heavy cream is commonly used for whipped cream. Add a little sugar, maple syrup, honey and a little amount of vanilla into your cold heavy cream. Then add it to your fresh berries or your morning coffee.
- Heavy cream can be used to make biscuits and scones: when baking your biscuits and scones, you can add your heavy cream to achieve a creamy and fresh flavor with a great texture. You could substitute milk for cream to achieve great snacks.
- Heavy cream can also be used to prepare soup and Broth: try adding heavy cream to your broth to achieve a great taste. You can add heavy creams to some soups that are cream based such as cream of mushroom, broccoli, and potato.
- It can also be used for Salad dressing: heavy cream can be used as your base for your creamy salad that is not too thick, and then you can add your seasonings, oil, citrus juice and fresh herbs.
- Heavy cream can be used for Chowder and seafood bisque: when you use heavy cream for chowders and seafood bisque, it creates a thick and rich texture. You can serve with fresh herbs for a good dinner.
- It can be used to prepare your scrambled eggs: to achieve a soft, custard and creamy scrambled eggs, add heavy cream to it as well as salt and pepper. When cooking them slowly and low, it will help to make them fluffy and creamy as well.
HOW TO MAKE HEAVY CREAM
To prepare your homemade heavy cream, the following are ingredients you need:
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) butter
- ¾ cup (180 milliliters) whole milk
- The following are ways to make this recipe:
- You have to Melt the butter: get your butter (one that has been melted to room temperature) or you can melt your butter in the microwave by scooping the butter into a micro wave container for 10seconds until it melts, you can also melt your butter on the stove. How? Scoop your butter into a skillet and lit up the stove on a low. Make sure to be observant and keep an eye on the butter and take it down the stove when you notice ¾ of the butter has melted. Usually butter dissolves between 82 and 97 (28-36). When the butter melts, use your spoon to spread the butter.
- After melting the butter, turn it into the milk: the melted butter should be about 1/3 cup (75grams), pour this melted butter into the ¾ cup (180 milliliters) whole milk and mix together in a bowl. Please note that, your butter must have been cool before adding it to the milk. If you are the type that prefers to use low fat milk, you should add 1 teaspoon of flour so that your cream can have a thick texture.
- Next is to whisk your ingredients together: whisking the ingredients should be with an electric mixer, could be handheld whisker, fork or spoon. Make sure to mix the ingredients consistently for several minutes until you achieve a thick and frothy consistency.
- Storage: pour your heavy cream into a container with a cover, place the container in your refrigerator and store it for 1 to 2 days.
- Start using your heavy cream: you can use it for your baked goods, savory sauces and soups.
HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
Heavy whipping cream has enough nutrients and it is also high in calories. It is the portion in dairy milk that has high fat. When you pour your fresh raw milk into a cup or bowl, the milk usually will be separated into cream and milk. It is the cream that rises to the top because of its fat content. The cream is scooped from the top for further processing.
Now this raw cream is pasteurized and homogenized to make heavy whipping cream (this process involves heating and applying pressure to the cream so as to kill bacteria, to prolong its life span in stores and improve stability). Some heavy whipping cream has additives so that the fat won’t be separated and to enable the cream to be stabilized.
USES OF HEAVY
Heavy whipping cream is meant for various uses and purposes in the kitchen and for food manufacturing. When heavy whipping cream is whipped and churned, it allows fat molecules to be joined together. Whipping it makes the liquid cream become a whipped cream, while churning turns the whipped cream into butter.
- Heavy whipping cream adds creaminess to baked goods, soups, coffee including other recipes.
- Heavy whipping cream is useful for those on a ketogenic diet and those on a high fat diet, because this cream adds extra fat to their meals and beverages.
NUTRITION FACTS OF HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
Heavy whipping cream is high in calories as it is majorly fat. It has high levels of fat-soluble vitamins, and certain minerals, it is rich in choline. Heavy whipping cream poured in one half cup contains:
- CALORIES: 400
- PROTEIN: 3 Grams
- VITAMIN A: 35% of the reference daily intake (RDI)
- FAT: 43 Grams
- CARBS: 3 grams
- PHOSPHORUS: 7% of the RDI
- CALCIUM: 7% of the RDI
- VITAMIN D: 10% of the RDI
- VITAMIN E: 7% of the RDI
- CHOLINE: 4% of the RDI
- VITAMIN K: 3% of the RDI
Research has it that heavy whipping cream contains vitamins and minerals that promote good health. Also, eating saturated fat can help guard against heart disease and eating full-fat dairy products helps reduce the chances of obesity and type 2 diabetes. Consuming heavy whipping cream can also be very helpful in attacking heart diseases because it contains saturated fats.
Heavy whipping cream has nutrients which play vital roles in one’s health, some of which are: vitamin A(which is an important nutrient for the eyes and for your immune system to function properly, vitamin D, vitamin E and vitamin K, it also contains choline which is very important for metabolism and brain development. Furthermore, it contains phosphorus and calcium, which are minerals good for healthy bones.
Heavy whipping creams are a lot more healthy than some cream replacements (whipped topping, coffee creamers) which are referred to as highly refined low-fat products. Heavy whipping cream have a great impact on one’s blood sugar levels, and they are less filling when compared to whole foods.
It is important to note that if you are allergic to lactose, you should avoid heavy whipping cream and other dairy products to ensure good health. In addition, some others may experience constant mucus production after consuming dairy products; people like this should avoid heavy whipping cream. For those who can tolerate dairy products, they should consume heavy whipping cream in small amounts as it will become a healthy part of your diet.
The usage of these two types of cream(Heavy Cream and Heavy Whipping Cream) can be very confusing, but you can get the differences in recipes by trying them out. One good thing about using either of the creams is that, using any of the creams will not ruin your recipe; instead it will change the texture a little bit. The heavy cream and the heavy whipping cream have their different uses and purposes as no one is better than the other.