Everybody loves chocolates and it has various flavours. Sweet, and sometimes with a hint of bitterness. Bite into a chocolate and it will give you a surprise. Chocolate has become a part of our lives. Its rich flavour brings joy when we are sad. When we’re in love, we give chocolates just to express how we feel.
When we feel stressed, sad, happy or bored, many of us turn to chocolate to put a smile on our face. And now, it has been proven scientifically that eating dark chocolate can lower your risk of depression in four-folds. Chocolates are healthy and they have a lot of positive effects on the human body.
However, various reports has it that most individuals that consumes chocolates have a very low odds of reporting depressing symptoms as chocolates are good for the heart, most especially the dark ones. It has also been suggested that chocolates may be helpful for some major health challenges such as obesity and autism.
Chocolate mayonnaise cake mix recipe Health Benefits
1. Chocolates are good for the heart and circulation
Did you know that dark chocolate helps restore flexibility to arteries? Not only that. It also prevents the white blood cells in the body from sticking to the walls of the blood vessels.
2. Chocolates reduces risk of stroke
3. Chocolates are very rich in minerals
Dark chocolates are enriched with healthy minerals such as zinc, potassium and selenium.
Note that a 100g bar of dark chocolate provides 67 per cent of beneficial minerals to the body.
4. Chocolates reduces cholesterol
Research has proven that consumption of cocoa has been shown to reduce the level of bad cholesterol and rapidly increase the level of good cholesterol, which in turn drastically reduces or lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease.
5. Chocolates are good for your skin
The presence of flavonols in dark chocolates helps to protect the skin against sun damage, (also known as sunburn) . Consuming chocolate is therefore the most preferable way to prevent or cure sunburn rather than using processed body creams.
6. Chocolates can help you lose weight
Consuming chocolates can help reduce an individuals’ appetite as chocolates acts as appewtite suppressant. A small bar of good chocolate melted on the tongue few minutes before a meal triggers the hormones in the brain to keep you full, thereby cutting the amount of food you consume.
7. Chocolates are good for nursing mothers and their babies
Research has proven that chocolate reduces stress in expectant mothers. And also, the babies of mothers that consumes chocolates smile more often and are even more joyous than the babies of mothers that don’t consume chocolates.
8. Consuming chocolates may prevent diabetes
Now, you may be wondering how this can even be possible right? let’s see. Various research has proven beyond doubt that cocoa improves insulin sensitivity. This therefore implies that dark chocolates might delay or help prevent diabetes.
9. Chocolates are good for the brain.
It has been proven beyond unreasonable doubt that the anti-inflammatory attributes of dark chocolates is very helpful in treating brain injuries such as concussion.
1. It helps cure depression
Research shows that baking helps to give focus to people battling with depression. It also gives them a basic sense of achievement.
2. Chocolate cakes are highly endowed with minerals such as potassium, selenium and zinc which are good for your health.
3. A major reason why people (both young and old avoid cake is because they think it will make them overweight. This is not true. Consuming a slice of chocolate cake before meal sends a message to your brain that automatically reduces your appetite and makes you want to eat less. Most importantly, chocolate cakes act as appetite suppressant.
Preliminary activities to be carried out before or while baking your chocolate cake
Chocolate cakes come in different designs, sizes, and structures. It could be a layer, two layers,, three layers or even cupcakes.
Secondly, mix the following ingredients together in a large bowl-baking soda, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder (optional) together and set aside. Use either a handheld or stand mixer fitted or perhaps you can use a whisk to mix the oil, eggs, and vanilla together on both medium and high speed.
Once stable, add the buttermilk and mix until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients carefully then add the hot water or coffee. And whisk or beat on low speed until the batter is completely combined. Note that batter comes out thin.
Thirdly, carefully divide batter evenly between pans. Bake for at most 22 to 25 minutes. Baking times may differ depending on the size and the amount of heat. Therefore, it is advisable to keep a close watch.
The cakes are ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Now, it is important to note that the cake might sink slightly in the center even if they’re completely done. This is because the cocoa powder is not as strong as all-purpose flour and can’t hold up to all the moisture necessary to make a moist tasting chocolate cake. Do not panic, it is very normal.
Next, remove the cakes from the oven and set on a wire rack. Allow them to cool completely in the pan.
The butter cream
Use a handheld or stand mixer to beat the butter on medium speed until it becomes creamy. This should be done for roughly about 2 maximum.
Secondly, add the sugar, cocoa powder, salt, heavy cream and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Having done that, increase to high speed and beat for a minute. Be sure not to over-whip.
Thirdly, add an additional ¼ cup of sugar or cocoa powder if frosting is too thin or another tablespoon of cream if frosting is too thick. Add more salt if necessary. Ensure that the salt is not too much or too little (it is preferable to add a pinch).
Next, use a large knife to slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes if they are domed on to top. This particular process is called leveling. Leveling is carried out in order to give the cakes a smooth top.
Place 1 cake layer on your cake stand or your serving plate and cover the top with frosting. Carefully top it with the 2nd layer and spread remaining frosting all over the top and sides. It is preferable to use an icing spatula and bench scraper for the frosting. Garnish with chocolate chips, if desired.
Finally, refrigerate cake for at least 30-60 minutes before slicing. This helps the cake hold its shape when cutting. Leftover cakes should be left in the refrigerator to avoild spoilage.
Note that once sliced and tightly stored in a refrigerator, cake can last up to 5 days. Also note that you can prepare the chocolate butter cream 2-3 days in advance. Just make sure you cover and refrigerate it, then bring to room temperature before spreading on the cake. Frosted cake freezes well, up to 3 months.
Three layer cake
Chocolate cakes can also be prepared as a three layer cake and this process is very simple. All you need to do is as follows:
First and foremost, divide batter between three 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans and bake for 22-25 minutes. This frosting will be enough for 3 layers.
Use natural cocoa powder in the cake. Since there is no leveling occurring in frosting, use natural process in the chocolate butter cream.
Add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then add enough whole milk to the same measuring cup until it reaches one cup. Stir for at least 5 minutes. Your home made buttermilk is ready to be used in the recipe.
This recipe yields about 6 cups of batter, which is helpful if you need it for different cake pan sizes and conversions.
All refrigerated items should be at room temperature so the batter mixes together easily and evenly.
Adding coffee or espresso powder to the recipie also helps to deepen the chocolate flavor. The coffee or espresso powder will not change the taste of the cake. And if you don’t like coffee, you can as well use extra hot water or hot chai tea.
Chocolate cake can be baked in a 9×13 inch baking pan with the same oven temperature and roughly about 35-40 minutes bake time.
Recipe for chocolate cake
1. 2 cups (260g) flour
2. cups (414g) sugar
3. ½ teaspoon vanilla
4. 1 teaspoon salt
5. ¾ (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
6. 2 teaspoon baking soda
7. 2 big eggs
8. 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
9. 1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
10. 1 cup (240ml) hot water
Chocolate cake butter frosting
1. 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2. 1¼ cup (280g) butte
3. 1¼ cups (237g) shortening
4.9 cups (1035g) powdered sugar
5. 1 cup (114g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
6. 4–5 tablespoon (60-75ml) water/milk
1. 6 oz (1 cup | 169g) semi sweet chocolate chips
2. ½ cup heavy whipping cream
3. Sprinkles / toppings
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour and remove the excess carefully.
2. Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
3. Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take nothing less than a couple of minutes.
4. Divide batter among the three pans. It takes just over 3 cups of the batter to divide it evenly.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes
6. Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
7. Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Butter cream Frosting
1. In a large bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer for best results
2. Add in cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
3. Beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add milk as necessary to make a spreadable consistency. The frosting should be very thick and will thicken even more if refrigerated.
1. Coffee can be used in place of warm water for your chocolate cupcake
2. Bake at 176 degrees celsius in three 23 centimeter pan.
If you find this method too tasking, you can as well try out our homemade chocolate cake recipe. Most people prefer the homemade chocolate cake recipe because they find it alot more easier to assimilate and as well try.
1. 2 cups sugar
2. 1¾ cups flour
3. ¾ cup cocoa powder
4. 2 large eggs
5. 1½teaspoons baking powder
6. 1 cup milk
7. ½ cup vegetable oil
8. 2 teaspoons baking soda
9. ⅓ teaspoon salt
10. 1 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour your baking pan or line your muffin pan with paper liners for cupcakes.
3. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to dry mixture and mix with an electric mixer on medium for about 2 minutes. Gently mix in boiling water. Do not panic when the batter looks thin. It is very normal.
5. Pour into pans and bake. Cool on wire racks.
Note that this process only takes 22 to 25 minutes to fully bake.
Where to get your chocolate cake ingredients
The above aforementioned chocolate cake ingredients are very affordable depending on the size of the cake. They can be gotten from both local and supermarkets. They are also available at any time of the year.
Chocolate cakes can be prepared and served at special events such as weddings, birthday parties, et ceteria.