Canning green beans the old-fashioned way recipe? You’ve tried canning green beans before, but it was a pain in the butt. You had to constantly add more water, wait for the canner to heat up and then take the jars out and wait for them to cool.
Don’t you hate having to do that every time you make green beans? Well, there is a better way and that’s by canning green beans the old-fashioned way using a pressure canner.
This will allow you to minimize waste while preserving the nutrients in your food. We’ll go over all of the necessary ingredients and instructions needed to make this recipe a success.
Ingredients Needed For Canning Green Beans
-7 quarts of green beans
-4 teaspoons of canning salt
-2 teaspoons black peppercorns
-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-4 cloves garlic
-4 bay leaves
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-2 cups white vinegar
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 3 minutes.
2. Carefully remove the green beans from the pot using a slotted spoon and place them in a large bowl of ice water. Let them sit for 1 minute.
3. Drain the green beans and place them in a sterilized canning jar.
4. Add the canning salt, black peppercorns, cayenne pepper, garlic, bay leaves, and olive oil to the jar.
5. Pour the white vinegar into the jar, making sure to cover all of the ingredients.
6. Place the lid on the jar and screw the lid tight.
7. Place the jars in a canning pot filled with boiling water. Make sure that the water covers the jars by at least 1 inch.
8. Boil the jars for 10 minutes, then remove from the pot and let cool completely before storing in a cool, dark place
Stepbystep Guide To Canning Green Beans
Looking for a delicious way to preserve your green beans? Canning them is a great option! Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
1. Start by washing your green beans and trimming them to the desired size.
2. Next, fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil.
3. Once the water is boiling, add the green beans and let them cook for 3-5 minutes.
4. While the green beans are cooking, prepare your canning jars by sterilizing them in boiling water.
5. Once the green beans are cooked, use a slotted spoon to transfer them into the sterilized jars.
6. Be sure to leave ½ inch of headspace at the top of each jar.
7. Now it’s time to add the canning liquid. For every pint (2 cups) of green beans, you’ll need 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
8. Carefully pour the canning liquid over the green beans, again leaving ½ inch of headspace at the top of each jar.
9. Use a clean cloth or paper towel to wipe any spills from the outside of the jars. This will help ensure that there is a good seal when you process them later.
10. Finally, screw on the lids and rings until they are tight but not overly tightened.
What Equipment Do You Need?
To can green beans, you will need the following equipment:
-A large pot or canner
-Rings and lids
The first step is to sterilize your jars and lids. You can do this by boiling them in water for 10 minutes. While the jars and lids are boiling, start heating water in your large pot or canner. Once the water is boiling, add your green beans to the pot. Be sure to leave enough space at the top of the pot so that the water can continue to boil. Boil the green beans for 3-5 minutes.
Once the green beans have been boiled, use a jar lifter to remove them from the pot and place them on a towel. Using a funnel, ladle the green beans into the jars, being careful not to touch the rim of the jar with anything that has been in contact with the green beans. Leave about an inch of space at the top of each jar. Use a clean towel to wipe any food or liquid off of the rim of each jar. Next, put on the lid and screw on the ring until it is tight. Repeat this process until all of your jars are full.
Place your jars back into the pot or canner, making sure that they are covered with water. Boil for 20 minutes to seal the jars. Carefully remove them from the pot with a jar lifter and place them on a towel to cool. Once they are cooled, check to make sure that each lid has been sealed by pressing down on it. The lid should not pop up when you press down on it. If it does, that means that it did not seal properly and you will need to refrigerate that particular jar and use it within 2 weeks.
How Long Will Canned Green Beans Last?
Canned green beans can last for a very long time if stored properly. The key to making sure they last is to store them in a cool, dry place. A dark cupboard or pantry is ideal. If you have the space, storing them in the fridge or freezer will help them last even longer.
Once opened, canned green beans should be used within a week or so. If you don’t think you’ll be able to use them up that quickly, transfer them to a clean, airtight container and store them in the fridge. They should still be good for a few more weeks this way.
Of course, the best way to enjoy green beans is to cook them fresh! But if you need to rely on canned beans, following these tips will help ensure they taste as fresh as possible and last as long as possible.
Canning Green Beans Vs. Freezing Green Beans – Which Is Better?
Canning green beans is a great way to preserve them for later use. However, it does take some time and effort to do it properly. You will need to sterilize the jars and lids, cook the green beans, and then process them in a boiling water canner. The whole process can take several hours.
Freezing green beans is much simpler and quicker. You just need to wash them, trim them if desired and then place them in freezer bags. They will retain their flavour and texture for several months.
So, which is better? It depends on your personal preference and needs. If you want to have green beans available all year round with minimal effort, freezing is probably the best option. However, if you want to take the time to preserve them in jars, canning is a great option too.
If you are looking for a canning green beans recipe, this blog post has been helpful. I have provided a step-by-step guide on how to can green beans, as well as what equipment you will need and how long canned green beans will last. Canning green beans is a great way to preserve them for a long time, and this blog post will help you get started.