Protein powder is considered very effective for weight loss, this is because when protein is consumed, it keeps you full and helps you maintain lean muscle, it also stirs up your metabolism which allows you to burn plenty fat. When you are trying to lose weight, you should be cautious of what you take in. For instance including a lot of protein in your nutrition plan is a good plan that can be very effective for losing more fat and sustaining the weight loss. Protein powder for weight loss is very simple and convenient to implement since it requires you to just shake it up with water and then the drink is yours. It has very low carbohydrates and fat contents that is why it is suitable for most diets, as it makes it easy to consume enough protein when you are trying to cut down your calorie intake. Most people find it difficult to stick to a diet plan probably because they feel lazy to measure the food or cook the food on the timetable, this is also where protein powder comes in handy, it is very easy to prepare, and you just got to mix it.
When choosing protein for weight loss, make sure you choose protein that has dominant protein isolates instead of concentrates because isolates are purer and have better quality than the latter. The protein content should be above 80% of the serving size. If it is less than that, it probably means it contains a lot of fillers which are not good for weight loss. Note that cheap protein powders most times contain a lot of fillers and sweeteners and might end up contributing to weight gain. Another factor to consider when choosing the best protein powder for weight loss is its sugar content. Do not choose a protein that will jeopardize your weight loss efforts because many protein powders are portrayed as having a great taste, this can mean a lot of sugar content. Beware of protein powders with high sugar contents, it can cause short- term energy boosts and make you have sudden cravings for snacks. Another important factor is if you have any allergies/intolerance, for those who are lactose intolerant and vegan intolerant, the whey protein is not ideal for them since it is derived from milk. They should consider going for soy protein most especially for vegetarians.
Best Protein Powders for Weight Loss
- Coffee- Flavored Protein: this contains coffee grounds that have metabolism boosting stimulant caffeine. Caffeine increases one’s stamina during workouts which allows you to burn more fat and calories.
- Whey Protein: this is the most popular protein powder, it is good for muscle building and it aids weight loss. Whey protein also helps with the improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol levels and blood sugar control.
- Casein Protein: this is another milk protein that digests slower than whey but it has weight loss properties as well. Since it digests slower, it can help you eat less thereby decreasing your appetite. Casein is a great source of calcium.
- Soy Protein: it is a plant based protein which contains all the nine essential amino acids that is needed for human health. Soy protein has high protein contents usually preferred by those who are intolerant to milk or by vegans. It helps reduce one’s appetite thereby reducing the amount of calories consumed.
- Protein fortified with fiber: vegetables, legumes, grains and fruits are great sources of dietary fiber. Fibers are very good to include in your diets as they help lower cholesterol levels, control blood sugars in people who have type 2 diabetes, they also help adjust one’s bowel movements. It also helps to reduce food intake and body weight.
PROTEIN SHAKES FOR WEIGHT LOSS RECIPES
Protein shakes help fill in gap of you having to go hungry and depressed when embarking on a strict diet. They also help you avoid craving sugary foods and snacks. Protein shakes can serve as meal replacements about twice a day, they are easy to prepare and you can combine the flavors as you like which makes them taste delicious. Protein shakes have many other benefits ranging from portability, they fill you up, and they are easy to digest and you can easily stick to them. They are variety of options available to you today, so you just have to get the best option that suits your taste buds and your weight loss goals. It is good to have your shakes prepared by you if you can because that way, you will be sure to include fresh ingredients. Make sure to go for high quality shakes, it provides a lot of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and it helps to make you feel fuller.
Those prepackaged weight loss shakes usually contains very small amount of quality protein, they are dominantly filled with cheap flavors and carbohydrate powders. When buying a prepackaged shake, do well to read the label very well and select the product that has whey protein as the first ingredient. You should also be mindful of ingredients that you can’t pronounce their names or spell; such ingredients are not natural and may not be friendly to your body. These are some of the protein shakes for weight loss that you can try at home:
- Peanut Butter Cup Shake (30 g protein): here are some of its nutrition contents, 258 calories, 6 g fat, 21 g carbs, 5 g fiber. Its ingredients are: ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, ½ frozen banana, 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate plant-based protein powder, 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder and ½ tablespoon natural unsalted peanut butter and you need water to blend.
- Spinach Flax Protein Smoothie (19 g protein): its nutrition facts are. 231 calories, 8 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 23 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 19 g protein. Its ingredients are; spinach leaf, mango, pineapple and banana. Its protein is derived from protein powder, flax meal and chia seeds. For people who do not like spinach shakes, that is why it is important to add mango, pineapple and banana so that you won’t have a taste of the leaf.
- Vanilla Chai Shake (19 g protein): its nutrition contents are; 219 calorie, 9 g fat, 20 carbs, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein. Ingredients are; ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk, ¼ tablespoon ground cinnamon, ½ frozen banana, ¼ cup chai tea ( it should be brewed from a teabag and chilled), 1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein powder, ½ tablespoon unsalted natural almond butter, add water to blend all together. You can add protein powder while mixing.
- Skinny High Protein Oreo Milkshake (19 g protein): this shake when prepared contains 211 calories, 3.3 g fat, 0.9 g sat fat, 24 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 19 grams sugar and 19 grams protein. Ingredients are: fat- free cottage cheese, skim milk, vanilla, cookies and a little of Stevia team. If you want to include protein, get the cottage cheese and skim milk. This shake is an alternative drink whenever you are craving something sweet.
- French Toast Protein Shake (42 g protein): it contains 235 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 12 g carbs, 1.2 g fiber, 14 g sugar and 42 g protein. Its protein source is fat-free cottage cheese and protein powder.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Shake (11 g protein): nutritional facts are; 346 calories, 19.2 g fat (4.2 g sat fat), 11.1 g protein, 7.8 g fiber, 19.9 g sugar. Add peanut butter to get the protein nutrient. Ingredients are frozen bananas, peanut butter and unsweetened almond milk.
BEST VEGAN PROTEIN POWDER FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Vegan protein powders are good for enhancing one’s sport performance and building muscle. Some examples of vegan protein powders are hemp, pea protein, power blends of plant proteins. Plant- based protein powders contains 20 grams of protein in a two-scoop serving as compared to the number of grams of protein per serving of whey protein which is 24 grams. You have more protein in whey protein and casein protein, but vegan protein powders supply fiber and some important nutrients to the body.
Here are some things to look out for when shopping for the best vegan protein powder for weight loss:
- Choose certified USDA organic and non-GMO brands: these brands do not have fillers of artificial sweeteners or ingredients in them.
- Choose protein powders with only one source of protein – pea protein, soy protein and hemp isolate fall into this category: they do not contain all sources of protein but when consumed, it causes a balance in your amino acids.
- Select such protein powders that have about 15 to 21 grams of protein per serving: this is important for satiety and gaining more muscles. Its carbohydrate content should be about 7 grams and it can be less, sugar content should be about 1 or 2 grams per serving.
- Do not select powders with fillers of sugars and artificial sweeteners: an example is sucralose. Products that contain Stevia or monk fruits as sweeteners are still preferable.
- Avoid fiber fillers: fiber fillers like guar gum and chicory root can cause stomach upset. But it’s okay to choose vegan protein powders
- You might consider caffeine: this is in case you want to cut down your daily intake.
Some products of vegan protein powders include:
- The Ora Organic GMO- free vegan protein powders: it has about 22 grams of muscle building protein; you can choose chocolate, vanilla or vanilla chai for smoothies.
- Hemp Yeah! Balanced Protein + Fiber Powder: it contains about 15 grams of protein and eight grams of fiber per serving.
- Nutiva’s hemp protein powders: one good thing about this product is its method of extraction; the protein is extracted from the hemp plant without the use of harmful chemicals.
- Bulk Supplements: it has high quality plant based soy isolate protein, and it has zero grams of carbs or sugars.
- Naked Pea: this protein powder has 100% yellow pea protein and does not contain artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.
BEST PROTEIN FOOD FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Foods with high protein content are very food for weight loss as protein keeps you full for a long time and it helps you build and maintain lean muscle. The following are food choices for your protein diet to help you achieve your weight loss goal.
- Tuna: in a canned tuna, there are 22 grams of protein and per 3-ounce serving it contains 100 calories. Which means tuna contains 94 percent protein, and 6 percent calories which is gotten from fat (usually referred to as heart-healthy omega-3s) as it relates to weight loss.
- Turkey / turkey breast: this is high in protein and it is a low-fat food; it has 95 percent calories derived from protein. When you eat more of turkey, you tend to lose more weight and keep that weight off, turkeys also have lower levels of harmful blood fats and a higher HDL cholesterol levels.
- Chicken breast: this is also rich in protein and has about 90 percent of protein. Adding lean protein to your diet is very effective in sustaining weight loss for a long term because protein keeps you full and satisfied.
- Eggs: you can get about 6 grams of protein in one large egg. Some studies have shown that eating eggs for breakfast can help you lose weight since eggs are high in protein and proteins are filling once eaten. You can have scrambled eggs for breakfast together with vegetables or a fruit on your plate.
- Beans: beans are a plant-based source of protein that has about 8 grams of protein in a half cup per serving and it has the same amount of fiber, it also contains iron, foliate and magnesium.
- Shrimp: this has about 85 percent of protein, and 3 ounce per serving contains 17 grams of protein. Shrimp gets cooked quickly, which is the reason it should be added to weeknight meals.
- Greek yoghurt: one cup of Greek yoghurt contains about 23 grams of protein and when consumed it supplies you with the calcium needed for that day. Greek yoghurt has a similar flavor and texture to sour cream and so it can be used as a substitute to the latter, added as a topping to supply you with more protein.
- Salmon: salmon is a fatty fish which means it contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. It is a great source of protein that makes you feel satisfied when eaten, but it is quite expensive compared to other options.
- Beef: Beef contains high amounts of protein; there are different types of beefs to choose from depending on your weight loss plan. For instance, those who are following a low-carb diet should go for fattier beef, while those on a moderate carbohydrate diet should eat lean beef.
- Cauliflower: it has a lot of protein and just a few calories. In a cup of chopped cauliflower, you will get about 27 calories and 2 g of protein.
BEST PROTEIN POWDER FOR WEIGHT LOSS AND MEAL REPLACEMENTS
The following are factors that determine what makes a good protein powder for weight loss
- You have to bear in mind your weight loss goals and your personal preferences: You should know that your weight loss goal is totally different from others and when picking the right protein powder for yourself, you should choose based on your taste, body composition goals and personal preference.
- The brand should have been tested by a third party: choose brands that have been tested by NSF Certified for Sport, consumer labs or informed-choice so as to ensure that quality products are used.
- Select the protein powder brand that is sugar free and sweetener free: It is preferable to choose protein powders that don’t contain sugar or other sweeteners.
Some protein powders you can buy
- Navitas Essential Blend Protein and Greens: this powder is a combination of pea, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, and golden flax and hemp proteins. It also contains nutritional advantage, like probiotics and enzymes which helps with digestion.
- BiPro Bold Whey + Milk Protein Isolate: this powder contains 23 grams of muscle-building protein per serving.
- Bob’s Red Mill Vanilla Protein Powder Nutritional Booster: this powder has it source from pea protein, which makes it a good plant-based product, it contains prebiotic fiber, chia, and probiotics which adds up to give a good nutritional boost. It can be used for shakes and sweeteners.
Protein Powder Meal Replacement
Meal replacements as the name connotes are what you take to replace heavy meals or fast foods during your weight loss program. In a situation where by you are in a hurry and do not want to buy fast foods probably for dinner, your blender can come in very useful as you can gather all your ingredients and nutrients of a complete meal and whip up a smoothie. When using shakes and smoothies for weight loss, whether store bought or homemade, watch out for sugar and make sure it contains all healthy nutrients. The following are some meal replacements options you can get at the store:
- Premier Protein Meal Replacement Shakes
- SlimFast Advanced Energy Meal Replacement Shakes
- Vega Protein Ready-to-Drink Meal Replacement Shakes
- Labrada Whey Protein Meal Replacement Shakes
- Pure Protein Meal Replacement Shakes